Saturday, February 11, 2012

What is a False Belief?

Simply put, a false belief is exactly that, a belief we have that is untrue. The better question is, "What does a False Belief do, and what are some of its characteristics?" That's a much better question.

To give an example I will describe the false belief of "I am not intelligent." To believe that I am not intelligent puts me at odds with the intelligence I have, and we are all intelligent. Perhaps this false belief leads me to coping behaviors of inferiority. I will look for opportunities to prove to myself (and others) that "I am not intelligent." I will quickly recognize (and probably point out) where I fail in the areas of intelligence that I perceive. This will confirm my belief.

On the other hand I may choose to develop a different coping strategy. I may decide that I will act like I know everything in order to cover my belief that "I am not intelligent." In this way I can appear arrogant, cocky, and look like a know-it-all.

You can see how false beliefs lead us to one extreme or the other and usually both which makes us appear to be highly hypocritical. The reason we oscillate to such a degree is because our souls (body and spirit) are hard-wired to cleave to truth, and when we can't find it we keep looking. The false belief is like a label that covers the truth which is sitting directly between the two opposite extremes we just looked at. We keep passing over the truth because we have labeled it with something that we believe is the truth, but our souls won't harmonize with it! When we take the time to dismantle the false beliefs we find that we can literally become new creatures overnight.

It is important to understand that it is the nature of false beliefs to be hidden. On very deep levels we have the capacity to understand all truth. We are God Children trying to live up to our potential. We may look at a principle like this and say, "That doesn't apply to me, I don't act like that at all. Besides, some of us just aren't intelligent and that is that."

Oh, yes? Oh, really? Let me quote something to you, "We are all intelligent." You may recognize that. It comes from just up the page a bit. I said it myself. Next time I'll briefly explore how we are all intelligent,  perfect even...

2 comments:

  1. Nice, Jarom! Yes, we are most definitely all intelligent! Nice food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for inviting me to your blog, Jarom. I like what you're doing with it! I can certainly relate to what you are saying about false beliefs. We all have them! For some people it's an eye-opener just to understand that they may be carrying false beliefs about themselves.

    ReplyDelete